The Municipal Clerk is a statutory officer of the Corporation and is given various duties by several Provincial statutes such as the Municipal Act, the Planning Act, the Municipal Elections Act, the Ontario Heritage Act, and many more.

The Clerk's Department is responsible for the records of the Municipality and serves as an information centre for Council, staff and the public. It processes information presented to Council in the form of agendas, minutes, By-laws and agreements.

The department is responsible for issuing municipal lottery licences such as raffles, break open tickets, etc. Requests under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act are processed by the Clerk.

On behalf of the Office of the Registrar General, the department issues marriage licences and records deaths that occur in the municipality.

The Clerk is the Returning Officer for municipal elections and is responsible to carry out all aspects of the election process in accordance with provincial legislation.

Services provided by the Clerk's Department

Commissioner of Oaths

The Clerk can sign documents that need the signature of a Commissioner of Oaths or Commissioner for Taking Affidavits. You will need to bring photo identification, and the document must be signed in the presence of the Clerk. The fee for this service is $10.00.

The Commissioner of Oaths can sign documents including, but not limited to:

  • Consent to travel with Children (travel letters)
  • Proof of residency
  • Vehicle transfer of ownership
  • Pension plans
  • Certify documents as “true copies”
  • Certification of an identifiable individual's signature
  • Government-related forms
  • Township departmental forms

The Commissioner of Oaths will not sign documents related to:

  • Wills
  • Living wills
  • Codicils of wills
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Divorce, separation or custody
  • Theft
  • Real Estate
  • Court documents that require the signature of a Notary Public

Delegation requests

Council meets the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month, with some exceptions and has no meetings in the month of August. If you are interested in appearing in person at a council meeting to present information or an opinion on a matter, you will need to fill out the Delegation Request Form. You must submit this Delegation Request Form to the Clerk's department together with your package or information to present at least seven (7) days prior to a Council meeting date. You will need to ensure that your presentation does not exceed ten (10) minutes in length.

Freedom of Information

The Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) provides a right of access to information for records in the custody and control of the Municipality. There are certain limitations in order to protect personal and sensitive information.

You can get many of the records online or by calling the municipal office without submitting a FOI form.

How to apply for access to information

You can apply by filling out a Freedom of Information Application form and paying a $5 fee for each request.

Submit your completed form to the Clerk's Office. 

The Clerk has 30 day to respond to Freedom of Information requests.

Additional fees may apply depending on the request. The Clerk will provide an estimate if the fees will be over $25.

Can a Freedom of Information request be refused?

Yes. A request may be refused access to a record or part of a record in accordance with the “Exemptions” in MFFIPPA.

Routine Disclosure Policy

The Council of the Township of Alnwick/Haldimand has deemed it beneficial to the stakeholders of this Township to develop a policy for access to municipally held records and information and to ensure records are kept and released according to Provincial Legislation.

View the Routine Disclosure Policy

Lottery Licencing

The Clerk's office issues Lottery Licences to eligible charitable organizations for various games of chance, such as, Break-Open Tickets, Raffles and other lottery events. Lottery Licences are required if money is paid for a chance to win a prize.

Your group must be a charitable organization or a non-profit organization with charitable purposes in order to be eligible for a lottery licence. To find out if your group is eligible you can visit the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario's website for details.

Municipal Elections

In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act the Clerk of the municipality shall conduct a municipal election every four years.

The Clerk has declared the Official Election Results for the 2018 election.

The following candidates were elected as a result of the Municipal Election held on October 23, 2018:

Elected Candidate (in alphabetical order by office)Office

John Logel


Gail Latchford

Deputy Mayor

Sherry Gibson


Raymond Benns


Mike Filip


Announcement by Mayor Logel of the passing of Councillor Raymond Benns

Grafton, ON – March 22, 2019 

It was with great sadness that I learned yesterday evening of the death of Councillor Raymond Benns at his home in Baltimore. 

Filling of Council Vacancy

Council conducted a process to fill the Vacant Council position, In accordance with the Municipal Act 2001.

Mr. Greg Booth was sworn into elected office as the new Councillor on June 6, 2019. Learn more about the Township of Alnwick/Haldimand Council.